Saturday, November 20, 2010

Butternut Squash Soup

This one came from "The Victory Garden Cookbook", given to me by my old friend Jean Lair Smith. Her husband, Russell, was an avid gardener and this book was a favorite of theirs.
Don't worry about the chestnuts. I am usually forced to leave them out and the soup is still delicious. Here is the recipe as written. (I've added notes in the comments.)

This soup can be made without the chestnuts, but they add a rich and complex flavor, as well as being readily available in winter squash season.

1/2 lb. raw chestnuts
2-2 1/2 lb. Butternut squash
1 onion
1 carrot
1 stalk celery
2 Tb. butter
5 cups chicken stock
Salt
1/4 tsp. ground ginger (optional)
1 1/2 c. light cream
Freshly ground pepper

Peel chestnuts. Peel and seed squash and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Chop onion, carrot, and celery, and add to butter melted in a 4-quart saucepan. Stew to wilt but not brown. Add chestnuts and squash and stir into vegetables. Add 4 cups chicken stock and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat, and cook for 30-40 minutes or until chestnuts and squash are tender. Stir in ginger if you like. Purée in a blender with remaining chicken stock. Add cream and season with salt and pepper to taste. Reheat and serve. (Makes 8 cups)
Bon Appétit!

1 comment:

  1. I always use part vegetarian broth, part chicken stock, depending what I have on hand. Central Market has an organic vegetarian broth that works especially well here - enhances the orange color. I never use cream. I use part milk, part silk, and evaporated milk to help with the body. Also I would never put in anything but fresh ginger. 1 or 2 teaspoons of fresh is very nice. This is very easy to make - most of the work is in processing the squash. I'd love to hear your comments if you try it.

    ReplyDelete