-1 head of savoy cabbage
-garlic or shallots
(This is essentially the Joy of Cooking 1997 recipe, except that theirs is open format and gives you options; I am just describing the option I took)
1. remove outer leaves, shred the cabbage, soak in ice water for an hour
2. make a vinaigrette with two cloves of garlic, 2-3 anchovy filets, a tablespoon of mustard, 1/3c each olive oil and vinegar, salt and black pepper to taste, and 2T capers.
3. fry two strips of bacon to crispness and chop them finely.
4. drain the cabbage (you may let it sit over a bowl draining in the fridge to keep it cold)
5. put the cabbage in a bowl, pour in the vinaigrette and bacon and mix together.